This little blog is just a recommendation from me to you. Not an ad just a story about something I’ve discovered that made me very happy and gave me one less thing to think about each day. And a money off code. Obvs.
I love to cook. I love to pour over magazines and website with recipes and in my mind I picture myself with my hair in a perfectly dishevelled, whips chignon in my sparkling kitchen preparing delicious and healthy meals that my kids just love. Where I fall down however (aside from the chignon and sparkly kitchen fails) is in the planning department. I see a recipe – order in the main ingredients, assume that the staple stuff is lurking in the back of a cupboard somewhere, whack on the chilled out tunes, don my pinky and …. oh fuck I’ve not got any _______ (insert basic ingredient that the whole dish depends upon.) So then I get creative and things get progressively worse from thereon in. The kids push the food around the plate. The Papa covers his in black pepper (he tells me it fixes most things) and we all walk away disatisfied.
I’d been eyeing up these services that offer pre packed boxes of food before and had had a fleeting dalliance with Hello Fresh last year. I can’t even remember how I came across it but I was tempted by an offer a few weeks ago to try a new company – Gousto. I often get started on these subscription plans but get frustrated by the complicated sites and this one was refreshingly easy. You just select how many people need to eat and how many meals you want in a week and then you select which of the meals they have on offer that week you would like to try. You book in your delivery date and sit back and relax!
Things I loved about the box…..
- You don’t have to wait in for it – select a safe place for them to leave it and it will be waiting for you when you get home. All the cold stuff is kept chilled with ice packs so no issues there. You also get a text when it’s been delivered so if like me you’ve forgotten it was even coming you can remember to get it out of your safe place!
- They supply every single ingredient for the recipes with the exception of oil and water. So if like me you have no idea what you have and don’t have in your cupboards you can rest assured that you will be able to create a meal no matter what – the recipe cards are pretty idiot proof.
- The portion sizes are massive. My family is made up of two adults, two teens and the Bébé and the option for a family of four consistently catered for all of us to eat and for me and the little one to have the leftovers for lunch the next day.
- The meat and veg are excellent – really fresh and high quality.
- The choices of recipes have been really great and varied with something to suit everyone – I love that they combine things you would never think of – last week we had a pork chipotle chili with rice (cooked in just 35 minutes) and it was accompanied by apple and celery slaw. Great for Mamans like me who are trying to cut out the carbs but still have to cook them for the family.
- If you can get a box using an offer I think it’s great value for money. £35 bought us four great quality evening meals and four leftover lunches for me and the little one. We ate light suppers the other nights and I don’t think I ended up sending more than I would have done normally across the week – difference was the food tasted good!
The one thing I really dislike about the box and depending on your ethics might be a deal breaker…. the packaging is excessive. Everything is dished out into portions for two – so if you order for four you just get double portions but every single ingredient comes in it’s own container so there is a lot of recycling to be done.
I’ve just had a quick look at the site for this week and see that on offer they have taken a few cheeky snapshots to showcase just some of the menu options….
As I said promise this is not an ad it just makes sense to spread the word about anything out there that makes life easier! Now that I’ve bought a couple of boxes I have a code to tell a friend so give it a try if you’re interested… if you use the code GBPS50 at the checkout you’ll get 50% off your first box – use this link to buy .
Enjoy Mamans! Let me know what you think.